2008.07.15 - 3:09 PM

The government of BC is giving out a one time amount of $100 - for free - to people who were living in BC in December 2007. It is the BC Climate Action Dividend.

I've attached the media release at the bottom of this blog which describes the reasons for dividend, but in short - to receive the money all you have to do is:

1) apply for the money OR

2) file your income taxes. (if you filed your income tax you received it automatically)

Note: You don't have to file your income tax to get this money, but you do have to fill out a form and send it in if you have not filed.

**Application forms are available at The Gathering Place or you can download a copy off the internet at:


*if you lived in BC on December 31, 2007.
*if you did not file a 2007 or 2006 income tax return
*if you were under the age of 18 on December 31, 2007 AND married, living common law, the parent of a child or living independently
*if you are the primary caregiver for a qualified dependent
****if you are married or living in a common law relationship BOTH people need to fill out the application.


Confirmation of the fact that you live in BC by way of TWO forms of documentation.

**If you don't have these but are a member of the Gathering Place for two years, they can provide you with proof of residency, and a mailing address**

1) The first document must show that you live in BC - show your name and address.

2) The second document must show your birth date.


note: copies of documents only do not send originals.

*BC Driver's license
*BC Care Card
*bills (like from BC Medical Services, gas, phone, cable, utilities)
*lease or rent receipt
*birth certificate
*school report card
*property tax notice
*proof of BC Employment and Assistance
OR Proof of receiving EI benefits

!! can send in a signed letter of reference, on letter head, confirming that you lived in BC - you can get these from Doctors, Lawyers, Social Workers, Shelters. **Gathering Place will provide this letter if you are a member**

Contact information, mailing address for this money is on the application form.


Bring your application to the desk upstairs at the Gathering Place and they can help you to fill it out, make copies of documents, provide a letter confirming residency, and mail it.


“One of the many initiatives announced in Budget 2008 is to provide British Columbia residents with a one-time, $100 Climate Action Dividend to encourage the transition to a greener lifestyle,” said Finance Minister Carol Taylor. “It is government’s hope that British Columbians will use these funds in ways than can help reduce their greenhouse gas emissions before the carbon tax begins in July.”

The Climate Action Dividend is funded from the 2007/08 surplus, an opportunity generated by British Columbia’s strong economic performance in 2007. Provided the Supplementary Estimate is approved by March 31, 2008, payments will be mailed out to British Columbians in June 2008, based on information from 2007 income tax returns.


fraggle on 2008.07.16

Also you should know that if you are common law or married and living on assistance (as such), that whoever's name is the primary on the file is the ONLY one who will receive the dividend. Your spouse will be filed as an adult dependent, and will not be sent the cheque, although your children will (if under the age of 18).
Its happening to me right now, my husband has to send in his own application.

better to die on your feet then live on your knees

caritasvillage2013 on 2013.10.25

I hope that the beneficiary of this are those poor people. Not the ones who are closest to the heart. - YOR Health

Login or register to post comments